Home  |  Sitemap |  Contact Us

Find It Fast

County Engineer

Yancy Scott, P.E., CFM

775 Bus 290 East
Hempstead, TX 77445

Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

Phone: (979) 826-7670
Fax: (979) 826-7673

Email: y.scott@wallercounty.us

April 18, 2018 Workshop Presentation http://wallercountytx.swagit.com/play/04182018-687


Whether you are a long-time resident or business owner or new to the area, the following information should be helpful to you.  Every official in Waller County genuinely desires that the investment you have or are considering will be enjoyable for years to come.

Please be aware of the following procedural and permitting requirements within our jurisdiction:

       Single-Family Residential

Multi-Family Residential/Commercial

  • Platting/Plat Exemption
  • Platting/Plat Exemption
  • Floodplain Development Permit/Exemption
  • Floodplain Development Permit/Exemption
  • 911 Rural Addressing
  • Civil Site Plans
  • Driveway/Culvert Permit
  • Infrastructure Development Plan & Engineering Report (Rental Communities and RV Parks)
  • On-Site Septic System Permit
  • 911 Rural Addressing
  • Fire Code Permit
  • Driveway/Culvert Permit
  • On-Site Septic Facility Permit

Provided in each tab are descriptions of each of the items noted above.   Proof of proper platting is required before any of the above permits or approvals will be granted to begin construction.

Waller County Road and Bridge GIS Website

Find out if your in the floodplain, if your road is maintained by the County, which precinct your in and much more.


*** Revised Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) and Flood Insurance Study (FIS) Report, for the unincorporated areas of Waller County, Texas, Community No. 480640 ***

The Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is pleased to present your community with revised FIRMS and FIS Report to be effective May 16, 2019, for Waller County, Texas and incorporated areas. This revised version of the FIRM panels and FIS Report incorporates updated flood hazard information for the Lower Brazos Watershed Study. We have revised only those FIRM panels with updated flood hazard information.

See the Waller County Road and Bridge GIS Website, click Revised Floodplain - Eff. 5.16.19.

Floodplain Development PermitALL new construction (including earthwork) in the unincorporated areas of the County must obtain a permit or permit exemption prior to beginning any construction activities.  A development permit application must be completed in order to get a floodplain determination from the County Engineer’s Office and further information on permit requirements if development is in the 1% annual chance (fka, 100-yr) floodplain.  FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps are also located on our website.  Failure to abide by the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance regulations could result in both civil and criminal sanctions.

Development (per FEMA) means any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations or storage of equipment or materials.

Driveway/Culvert Permit – A driveway (with or without a culvert) is required in order to get legal access onto a County maintained road from private property.  The driveway must be constructed in conformance to County standards.  

For mutli-family residential, commercial and other public developments a full set of civil site plans (i.e. site grading, drainage, erosion control, fire lanes, utilities, SWPPP, detention, etc.) must be submitted prior to commencement of any construction activities.  Our Drainage Criteria Manual is located in Appendix E of our Subdivision and Development Regulations.  If the property is within the jurisdiction of the Brookshire-Katy Drainage District, construction plan approval must also be obtained through their office.

Failure to abide by the subdivision rules and regulations could result in both civil and criminal sanctions.

If you divide your property into two or more parcels to convey to others, such “subdividing” is regulated by state law in Texas Local Government Code Chapter 232.

A property owner who intends to use the land for any type of rental community, including a manufactured home rental community or RV park, must have an infrastructure development plan prepared that complies with the minimum infrastructure standards established in Appendices C & D of our Subdivision and Development Regulations.

Name & Email
County Engineer
Assistant County Engineer
Administrative Assistant
Shop Foreman
Sign Foreman
Compliance Officer
Road Superintendent
Assistant II - Engineering
Engineering Tech
Assistant II - Road & Bridge
Page 1 of 1


To make a payment by credit card for Residential Development  ONLY, please use the Make a Payment link.  For the reference number use the R number/Property ID number from the Waller County Appraisal District.  Once you make the payment email the confirmation receipt and development application to i.sepeda@wallercounty.us 

To make a payment by credit card for Civil Engineering ONLY, please use the Make a Payment link.  For the reference number use the Project Name.  Once you make the payment email the confirmation receipt and development application to t.hogan@wallercounty.us

To make a payment by credit card for Road & Bridge ONLY, please use the Make a Payment link.  The reference number you will need is the R number from the Waller County Appraisal District (can be found on your tax bill or their website).  Once you make the payment email the receipt to y.salgado@wallercounty.us

  Payment is due before an application will be processed.

                            We accept cash, checks (payable to Waller County)                                                         or credit cards (use the credit card payment tab above).

Copyright © Waller County Texas  2017. All rights reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM